Thursday, 14 March 2013

NaBloPoMo - Day 14

I need to step outside the topic for the week today. I spent a very restless night and I need to write about it.

I have alluded to health issues several times over the past month and that is what I need to do. Ontario Disability has a process that takes a long time but which allows the client to obtain much needed assistance and medications. I have applied to them mainly because I would love to be able to get and keep a job I can't.

I have Fibromyalgia and Dysthymia. Yes I will explain those for people that do not know what they are. 
This is the description you will find at the above link for Fibromyalgia : 

Fibromyalgia (FM or FMS) is characterised by chronic widespread pain and allodynia (a heightened and painful response to pressure).[1] Its exact cause is unknown but is believed to involve psychological, genetic, neurobiological and environmental factors.[2][3] Fibromyalgia symptoms are not restricted to pain, leading to the use of the alternative term fibromyalgia syndrome for the condition. Other symptoms include debilitating fatiguesleep disturbance, and joint stiffness. Some patients[4] also report difficulty with swallowing,[5] bowel and bladder abnormalities,[6] numbness and tingling,[7] and cognitive dysfunction.[8] Fibromyalgia is frequently comorbid with psychiatric conditions such as depression and anxietyand stress-related disorders such as posttraumatic stress disorder.

Dysthymia was something I had never heard of until my doctor told me that the life-long depression I've had has a name.

Dysthymia (English pronunciation: /dɪs.ˈθaɪ.miː.ə/), also known as neurotic depressiondysthymic disorder, and chronic depression, is a mood disorder consisting of chronic depression, with less severe but longer lasting symptoms than major depressive disorder.[1] The concept was coined by Dr. Robert Spitzer (an editor of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-III)) as a replacement for the term "depressive personality" in the late 1970s.[2]According to the DSM's definition of dysthymia, it is a serious state of chronic depression, which persists for at least 2 years; it is less acute and severe than major depressive disorder.[3] As dysthymia is a chronic disorder, sufferers may experience symptoms for many years before it is diagnosed, if diagnosis occurs at all. As a result, they may believe that depression is a part of their character, so they may not even discuss their symptoms with doctors, family members, or friends.
Add to this menopause and you get some idea of why I feel I am unable to get or hold a job. Some days just getting out of my bed can be a chore and getting dressed is tricky because all that bending and pulling starts my back to aching. I am hoping that I have been able to explain to the Board what a typical day is like for me but I got to thinking maybe I shouls write out my arguments if I have to fight them for it and that is what todays blog entry is going to be.

My Arguments for the Board

  1. Getting out of bed hurts some days and can take up to five minutes. It often feels like I've been wrestling in my sleep and gotten slammed to the mat several times
  2. I try to get dressed every day but there are some days when I'd rather go naked because even the lightest cloth feels like a brillo pad on my skin
  3. I can manage stairs, I don't really have much choice I live on the top floor of a house and my daughter lives on the middle floor. I always hold the hand rail and go very slowly because I am afraid of falling. Walking on the sidewalk after a snow storm is terrifying and it takes me a half an hour or more to cover three or four blocks
  4. I can't tell if I have a kidney infection or any other infection below my shoulders because the pain is constant. I was thinking how to describe the pain, in fact it feels like someone is running a rake across my shoulders and like I'm wearing a belt of nails, points against the skin in my lower back, between them someone is applying a hot iron.
  5. My hands have no strength and I need to use an electric can opener to open cans and even then I run into issues because I can't get the cutting blade on the can right
  6. As long as the cooking of a meal requires a minimum of effort I can feed myself but honestly I'd probably live on TV dinners if it weren't for my daughter
  7. I can sit and stand but need to alternate them often  to releif the pressure on my hips and knees
  8. I need a seat in the shower because I can't stand long enough to get properly clean, since I don't have one right now I shower only about once a month.
  9. I sleep between 10 and 12 hours a day, more as an attempt to avoid the pain than for any real need.
  10. I take an average of twelve Tylenol Extra Strength on a bad day and as few as four on a good day
  11. While losing some weight might give me great benefit the plain fact of the matter is that it requires energy and I don't have any
I was sure I had more than that but I suppose I've covered pretty much everything I can think of right now.



No comments:

Post a Comment