Tuesday, 23 April 2013

April 23rd, 2013 Poetry form = Ghazai


Do you like the rain?
Ghazai (pronounced "guzzle") has less than twelve couplets that are united by a rhyme scheme 
Each line has an identical meter. Each couplet forms a complete thought and stands alone, and the overall ghazai often reflects on a theme of unattainable love or divinity.
in the FIRST couplet, both lines in the end in the same short phrase 
after that, the second line of each couplet ends in that same short phrase 
the rhyme occurs BEFORE that phrase, it is an internal mono-rhyme 
in the LAST couplet, the poet usually signs the poem by integrating his pen name 
the ghazai is usually untitled 

Grey skies hang over my head
The missing sun makes me so sad
I don't want to get out of bed
Grey skies hang over my head
Filling my humble heart with dread
When they are gone I'll be so glad
Grey skies hang over my head
The missing sun makes me so sad

It is not a Ghazai it is a Triolet and it was written for my poetry class at WDC but it does describe how I feel about rainy days. There is one exception to this, a lightening storm gets me to buzzing and makes me want to dance. I do not know why this is so I just know it is. I also don't mind if it rains a couple of days and then the sun comes back to play what gets me is the three or more days of grey skies and damp air. I start to feel like I'm going to suffocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment