Friday, 26 April 2013

April 25th, 2013 Poetry form = Climbing Rhyme


Truman Capote wrote: "Aprils have never meant much to me, autumns seem that season of beginning, spring." Which season signifies the "beginning" of the year for you?


Classical Burmese poetry comes in many lengths and forms, but most of it is characterized by a repeated sequence of 3 internally-rhymed lines consisting of 4 syllables each–a pattern that has become known as Climbing Rhyme. Most Burmese patterns employ a scheme of internal rhyme: the same rhyme appears in the 4th syllable of line 1, the 3rd syllable of line 2 and the 2nd syllable of line 3. This is called the 4-3-2 scheme; its characteristic stair step gave rise to its name, climbing rhyme. The last syllable of line 3 begins a new series of rhymes, continuing the 4-3-2 pattern.

Spring is the time
In it I'm new
Sweet clime begins
New life wins over
Dark sins of cold

time, I'm, clime- begins, wins, sins

Wow internal rhymes in specific places is difficult and these poets did this over dozens of lines

I love spring to me it is the epitome of renewal and rebirth. I grew up in a place where there is snow for four to six months and I am made so happy when the first buds appear on the trees because it means the long grey cold is over.

Oh dang, I didn't check the publish date on this one so it is a day late even if I did write it yeasterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment