Thursday, 4 April 2013

April 4th, 2013 Poetry form = Italian Sonnet

Tell us about your favourite hike you've ever been on.
Italian Sonnet: A sonnet consisting of an 8 line stanza with the rhyme pattern abbaabba followed by a six line stanza with a rhyme pattern of cdecde or cdcdcd.

I am trying to remember if I have ever been on a real hike, I have walked for km through the parks and along the streets and down the boardwalk in Toronto but I don't think I've ever been on a backpack type of hike in my life. This being so and since a sonnet is 14 lines long I suppose I could make up a poem about a hike. Not sure that would qualify as matching the form to the prompt. If you read this maybe you can comment and tell me what you think.

I set out one day to explore a place
I'd never been before
On a distant shore
I grabbed a pack and set a good pace
As I explored my heart began to race
I heard a loud roar
What was in store
For me ahead, what would I face

I turned the corner and saw such a sight
A big, beautiful waterfall
A cataract off to the right
To the left stood a mountain tall
Above it an eagle in flight
I suddenly felt so very small

No comments:

Post a Comment