Saturday, 6 April 2013

April 6 - National Child Abuse Prevention Month Poetry form = Diminished Hexaverse

Discuss Child Abuse min 750 words
Diminished Hexaverse: A poem containing stanzas of 5 lines, then 4 lines, then 3 lines, then 2 lines, ending with one word. The syllables in each stanza correspond to the number of lines, i.e. 5 in each line in the first stanza, 4 in the second stanza and so on. This form may contain more than five stanzas.

As a survivor of childhood abuse, prevention is close to my heart. I have no words to say what needs to be said today, Whenever I think about the abuse I suffered and the abuse my brothers and sister suffered due to one of my uncles I want to scream and run away. That he was there and that I am sure my parents had full knowledge of what he was and what he was doing only makes it harder. You see I know they loved me but my mother was a victim of sexual abuse from her own father and my dad had dysthymia and didn't acknowledge much past his own pain. I know there was some physical abuse in his family but I don't know if there was any sexual abuse.
I do not remember getting physically harmed by my father but as I discussed earlier my mom and I had our moments. A nosy neighbor says that I at least got hit sometimes but I don't remember it, aside from the beating my mom gave me I do not remember any physical punishments, some mental ones sure but that came with the territory of who they were and their own pasts.
I wish that there had been an active child welfare group active during my childhood. I know the Children's Aid Society has been around for awhile but I feel that a lot of the time the assessors are blinded by their own prejudices and do not "rescue" the children that need saving but the ones they assume need saving. I know that makes them human but they need to be taught to be led by their senses not their thoughts if they are going to do anything to help the children that really need help.
On the other hand some of the "spare the rod" people need to understand that sometimes a child needs a spanking because a time out is just a big joke. I am an advocate of the middle of the road on child punishment as I am on most things in the world that require an opinion.
I do not see how a slap on the butt or hand can harm a child or give that child a message that violence is ok. If that single slap turns into several hard slaps given all together without any reason beyond parental exasperation then it could be considered abuse, if it escalates into multiple hard slaps, several times a day then that child is in danger and needs to be removed and to be checked out by a doctor or three to find out if the fault is in the child or the parent.
Often a child can learn self control but someone who has reached adulthood without that become a danger to children and sometimes other adults around them. And yes I am a firm believer that sometimes a child has some issues that make them act out, like a mental illness or something and that it is not the parents fault completely if they resort to physical violence because they do not know or understand what is going on with their child. Mind you if a good parent gets to that point, I would expect them to be taking the child to the doctor to be tested for a disorder, that is their responsibility. (562 words)

Note: I haven't done a poem today this subject just gets me up on my high horse. I will try to do a poem for it later today. If I do I'll post it as a separate post. I still need to finish yesterdays as well, I'll probably do both and put them in a post together tonight or tomorrow. I are still preparing for the landlords house inspection and working on a wedding so writing gets pushed to the bottom of the list. Hopefully next week things will ease up a bit.


Once upon a time
a long time ago
there lived a young girl
who lived in a whirl
running boy to boy

Until one day
Death came to her
Cold and angry
it stole her child

Her will gone
Stopped whirling
Became still

Alone
No child

Lost

No comments:

Post a Comment